The aim of the early stage researchers’ project is to investigate emerging technologies for a more efficient harvesting of wind energy resources.
This video presents the didactic demonstrator that they built together to explain with simple words the main outcomes of our research and the impact that this has on our lives and society.
The objective of this demonstrator is also to reduce the gap between the scientific community and the general public. During their research, they asked themselves what is the impact of the local terrain and atmospheric variability on wind turbine performance, structural dynamics and noise. Since they studied a wide variety of topics, they decided to divide the demonstrator in two parts, rural and urban.
Article in Journal
A. P.C. Bresciani, S. Le Bras, L. D. de Santana: Generalization of Amiet’s theory for small reduced-frequency and nearly-critical gusts, Journal of Sound and Vibration, 524C, https://10.1016/j.jsv.2021.116742, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0022460X21007367
C. Gallego-Castillo, A. Cuerva-Tejero, Mohanad Elagamy, O. Lopez-Garcia, S. Avila-Sanchez: A tutorial on reproducing a predefined autocovariance function through AR models: application to stationary homogeneous isotropic turbulence, Stochastic Environmental Research and Risk Assessment Journal, 24 December 2021, https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00477-021-02156-0
Publication in Conference proceedings/Workshop
- L. Botero-Bolivar, F.L. dos Santos, C.H. Venner, L. de Santana, "The increase of the airfoil trailing edge noise and unsteady surface pressure due to high inflow turbine", AIAA Aviation Forum 2021, August, 2-6, 2021, DOI:10.2514/6.2021-2234
- F.L. dos Santos, L. Botero-Bolivar, C.H. Venner, L. de Santana, "Modelling the dissipation range of von Karman turbulence spectrum", AIAA Aviation Forum 2021, August 2-6, 2021, DOI:10.2514/6.2021-2292
- F.L. dos Santos, N.A.P. Even, L. Botero-Bolivar, C.H. Venner, L. de Santana, "Influence of surface roughness geometry on trailing edge wall pressure fluctuations and noise", AIAA Aviation Forum 2021, August 2-6, 2021, DOI:10.2514/6.2021-2294
- K. Venkatraman, S. Moreau, J. Christophe, C. Schram, "Numerical investigation of the effect of inflow non-uniformity on the noise radiated by a vertical axis wind turbine", AIAA Aviation Forum 2021, August 2-6, 2021, DOI:10.2514/6.2021-2216
- M.P.J. Sanders, C.F.J. Koenjer, L. Botero-Bolivar, F.L. dos Santos, C.H. Venner, L.D. de Santana "Airfoil trailing-edge noise in an open-jet, a hard-wall and a hybrid test section wind tunnel: a benchmark exercise", AIAA Aviation Forum 2021, August 2-6, 2021, DOI:10.2514/6.2021-2253
- M. Elagamy, C. Gallego-Castillo, A. Cuerva-Tejero, O. Lopez-Garcia, S. Avila-Sanchez, "Optimal autoregressive models for synthetic generation of turbulence. Implications of reproducing the spectrum or the autocovariance function", 17th EWAE PhD Seminar, November 3-5, 2021
- I. Lunevitch, "Experimental partnerships for co-designing urban energy transitions. The case of the Dutch Wind Wheel", Urban interventions: engaging with climate transformations in cities, Centre of Climate and Energy Transformations, 5 November 2021, University of Bergen, Norway.
- K. Venkatraman, S. Buckingham, B. Conan, "Influence of local terrain and vertical height in thermal stability calculations over complex terrain", 17th European Academy of Wind Energy EWAE PhD Seminar, November 3-5, 2021
- S. Shubham, A. Ianakiev, N. Wright, "Review of standalone small-scale Darrieus wind turbines - a Nottingham case study", 17th European Academy of Wind Energy EWAE PhD Seminar, November 3-5, 2021
- B. Kale, "Validation of the generalized actuator disk wind turbine parameterization based on wake measurements of the full-scale Vestas V27 wind turbine at the SWiFT test site", 17th European Academy of Wind Energy EAWEPhD Seminar, November 3-5, 2021
- M. Elagamy, C. Gallego-Castillo, A. Cuerva-Tejero, O. Lopez-Garcia, S. Avila-Sanchez, "Restricted autoregressive models for synthetic generation of stationary homogeneous isotropic turbulence. A methodology based on multi-point spectrum fitting", 17th ICCMSE 2021, September 4-7, 2021
- B. Kale, "Multiscale wind turbine wake modeling within a wind farm using the WRF-LES model: An application to the Lillgrund offshore wind farm", Wind Energy Science Conference (WESC2021), 25 - 28 May 2021, Hannover/Germany (Online)
- E.M. Papoutsis-Kiachagias, M. Erfan-Farhikhteh, T. Skamagkis, K.C. Giannakoglou, "Aerodynamic shape otpimization of the Mexico wind turbine blade using the continuous adjoint method", EUROGEN 2021 - 14th ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Evolutionary and Deterministic Methods for Design, Optimization and Control May 17-19, 2021, DOI:10.7712/140121.7949.18374
- L. Botero-Bolivar, M.P.J. Sanders, L.D. de Santana, C.H. Venner, F.M. Catalano, "Analysis of a semi-empirical leading-edge slat noise prediction model", e-Forum Acusticum 2020, December 7-11, 2020
Chapter in a Book
- B. Kale, "Implementation of a generalized actuator disk model into the Weather Research and Forecasting (WRF) model for high-fidelity simulations of wind turbine wakes", Review of the VKI Doctoral Research 2020-2021, edited by the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Rhode-Saint-Genèse, 2021, ISBN 978-2-87516-164-2
- K. Venkatraman, "Numerical investigation of vertical axis wind turbine noise under uniform flow conditions", Review of the VKI Doctoral Research 2020-2021, edited by the von Karman Institute for Fluid Dynamics, Rhode-Saint-Genèse, 2021, ISBN 978-2-87516-164-2
- General poster of H2020 Zephyr project, 24th Poznań Festival of Science and Art, Institute of Molecular Physics, Polish Academy of Sciences, Poznan, Poland, 9-19 November 2021
- Public workshop on "Modelling wind energy harvesting in complex urban environments", 7 July 2021, NTU, Norway